-
June 19th, 2004, 02:03 PM
#1
Daniel LeClaire
Guest
I'm thinking of getting a Mac for recording purposes and maybe a little video editing (a la Steve Holmes!), but mostly recording.
What should I look for? What is the most important feature/s? Are there any on the Mac store page that would be good? I'm thinking maybe a G4.
I'm a total newbie when it comes to this stuff, I just want something that I won't have to upgrade all the time. I'd like to get a Protools Digidesin Mbox to start with. Any help is appreciated!
-
June 19th, 2004, 02:34 PM
#2
Inactive Member
for the price, buy the Digi01 instead of the Mbox. You will get more channels. G4 or a G5 will work fine.
-
June 19th, 2004, 04:34 PM
#3
Inactive Member
-
June 19th, 2004, 04:45 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Ya as much or as fast as possible for everything. 1gb of RAM wouldn't be pushing it for recording.
-
June 19th, 2004, 04:59 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I'm no expert on this but i do use my G4 powerbook to record drums all the time. I've got a 1 gig processer and 512 ram. I use cubase sx2 but i think logic is better for mac, i'm not sure about protools.
The audio interface you need depends on how you want to record.... how many mic inputs do you need, have you got a mixing desk for mic preamps.
I use a motu 828 mk2 and some external mic preamps plus a mackie desk if i need more than 5 inputs.
Anyway, the mac easily handles at least 8 audio tracks- no problems....
If like me you are a newbie to this then it will take awhile to sort everything out.... but just get stuck in....
There are a couple of helpful websites : macmusic andosxaudio
Good luck
-
June 20th, 2004, 03:41 AM
#6
Daniel LeClaire
Guest
Cool, thanks for the advice Randy.
How much RAM should I get? 256 or is 512 necessary? Processor speed?
-
June 21st, 2004, 02:43 PM
#7
Inactive Member
What made you think about pro tools? Is it because its the "mainstream" way to record in most studios? Are you trying to record drums or what else?
If you get into recording you will really want to upgrade after you get that Mbox. What is it...2 channels? Theirs no way unless you just get a couple of overheads to mic the drums and thats it.
I've been using a Aardvark Q10 with Cubase and Nuendo v2 for a while and have gotten some good sounding recordings. Some of the other things you have to think about to are monitors!! How are you goona hear you recordings? I've go for the M-Audio BX8 monitors. Their a good deal for around 400-500.
Logic is supposed to be one the best programs for mac but it can be a steap learning curve for it. It's possiable to use Pro Tools controlled w/ Logic too.
Check out theis place. They would be happy to help ya.
http://homerecording.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=14
-
June 22nd, 2004, 02:52 AM
#8
Inactive Member
Always get more than you need when it comes to RAM, HD Space & Processor Speed. That way you can grow into rather than just meeting your needs.
If you are going to work with video, disk space is what is needed most. Vidoe takes up tons-o-disk space.
-
June 22nd, 2004, 02:37 PM
#9
Inactive Member
It's really all about money and track count.
The Mac IMO is absolutely unsurpassed as far as ease of use in basic video and dvd apps. iMovie and iDVD are by far the easiest and most professional apps around. They are not as capable as Premiere or Final Cut Pro, but you will rarely require those features. (and when you do, just install those programs) This is obviously a software advantage vs. a hardware one.
The Mbox is a great piece of gear. (I need to get one!) I use and love the Digi002 along with a slightly older Mix system. However, the 002 is about $1100 by itself. Randy's recommendation is a very good one; get the Digi001 to get started.
I also highly recommend reading up on ProTools LE over at www.digidesign.com
Specifically, check out the user's forum under the support section. Read the two PT LE forums. (for Mac and PC)
I use a dual 1.25 G4 with 1GB of RAM and it works great. I also use a 800Mhz Ti Powerbook with 1GB of RAM for onsite recording and that works great as well.
-
June 22nd, 2004, 03:02 PM
#10
Inactive Member
and remember, don't use the same machine for both video AND audio. If your using this for audio, don't mix it with trying to do a video project.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks